From New York Times bestselling author of the Shadow Falls series comes C. C. Hunter’s new YA thriller about a girl who learns that she may have been kidnapped as a child, and must race to uncover the truth about her past before she winds up a victim.
Chloe was three years old when she became Chloe Holden, but her adoption didn’t scar her, and she’s had a great life. Now, fourteen years later, her loving parents’ marriage has fallen apart and her mom has moved them to Joyful, Texas. Starting twelfth grade as the new kid at school, everything Chloe loved about her life is gone. And feelings of déjà vu from her early childhood start haunting her.
When Chloe meets Cash Colton she feels drawn to him, as though they're kindred spirits. Until Cash tells her the real reason he sought her out: Chloe looks exactly like the daughter his foster parents lost years ago, and he’s determined to figure out the truth.
As Chloe and Cash delve deeper into her adoption, the more things don’t add up, and the more strange things start happening. Why is Chloe’s adoption a secret that people would kill for?
Christie's books include The Mortician's Daughter series, Shadow Fall Novels and This Heart of Mine.
Review of IN ANOTHER LIFE: IN ANOTHER LIFE is a heartwarming and emotionally powerful story about seventeen-year-old Chloe, who moves with her cancer-stricken mother from El Paso to Joyful, Texas, because of her parents' divorce. They move into her late grandmothers' home, and Chloe starts in a new school. Anxious over her mother and furious about her father's infidelities, Chloe encounters Cash Colton, also 17, foster child of wealthy physicians, who suspects Chloe is a con artist like his sociopathic late father. Chloe resembles the daughter of his foster parents, kidnapped at age three almost 15 years ago. Both Chloe and Cash suffer serious trust issues, but they must learn to trust each other if they are to discover the truth.
- What advice to you have for aspiring authors?
- Writing is a tough business and only the determined make it, so be determined. Don’t give up. It took me ten years to sell my first book and another thirteen to sell my second, but I am now working on book 44 if you count my non-fiction books and novellas. It would’ve been easy to quit after the first year, or the second, but I’m so glad I didn’t.
- Where do you get ideas for your books?
- What kind of people would be interested in reading your books?
- Cash seemed to have a very rough life, would you say that is important for the book?
- When do you think Chloe realized that she was Emily?
- Did you plan on the adoption agency being the kidnappers all along? What gave you that idea?
- What inspired you to write In Another Life?
- What lessons did you learn from writing This Heart of Mine, and how did you apply them to In Another Life?
- What projects are you working on now?
- How did your love of writing/storytelling begin?
- You have a lot of awesome books under your belt! Tell me a little bit about how you keep yourself organized when writing!
- What is your favorite thing about being an author? And the hardest thing?
- What's the story behind In Another Life? Where did you take inspiration from to write Chloe's story?
- How do you think the relationship between Cash and Chloe affect her search for the truth about her origins?
- I ask each author I interview to do this (so I hope you don't find it weird) but can you summarize In Another Life using 3-5 emojis?
- I would say the emojis would be, chew on your lip suspenseful, love, and either happiness or family.
- I loved this story like all others but your usual snark and laugh out loud moments where sparse. What was your frame of mind when you wrote it? Was it a conscious choice right from the start or something forced on you by the story and the characters?
- What made you choose this topic? Was it something you’ve read in the newspaper? Something else?
- Chloe is the new girl in a new school. How often have you been the new girl? And how did you adapt?