WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Review: TWELVE NIGHTS AT ROTTER HOUSE


5+ Stars

This "Haunted House" story I found exceptional for several reasons. Throughout the book, Thomas and Felix are such a cogent "odd couple," really a perfectly matched set of opposites,  a pair who constantly play riffs off each other.  Next, there's humour: not a fictional aspect I usually seek out, but here it's a welcome leavening, and I can see it working effectively if this novel was a stage play [and oddly,  that would be my choice in preference to: a Horror film--which seques right into my next point], these guys are like horror film memory champions! Like kids of the 50's memorizing Baseball stats, these guys know their B-movies!

But best of all,  there's the SCARES, the tongue-in-cheek reactions of Felix and Thomas; and finally,  That Denouement.  Not in a million years...and my reaction was horror, grief, sorrow, astoundment, horror....and still pondering two days later.  What a story!

No comments:

Post a Comment