WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Saturday, June 6, 2020

Review: SHORT HORROR STORIES VOLUME 21

5 Spooky Stars

"Outside Of Town" by Ron Ripley: I wasn't sure at first if I liked the outcome of this story. As I pondered on it, I decided that the portion that concerned me (the abandoned house) actually was pretty seamless, so although the ending did surprise me by its particular specificity,  it fit with the house's own expressed nature [and make no mistake: the House is a Character].

"A Peculiar Song" by Bronson Carey: Unnerving--maximally Unnerving. This tale crept up on me all unawares, then knock-out! The horror is implacable, as the best horror always is. Shudder. Warning: nightmares approaching, fast.

"Scouting" by Ron Ripley: I love the existence of Nature; but I don't trust the Outdoors.  Nor would I ever consider camping. I was only a few paragraphs into this story and I was ready to scream, beg, and plead: "DON'T CAMP THERE!!" I don't camp, but that never prevents the Nightmares....

No comments:

Post a Comment