WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Review: FAITHFUL SHADOW by Kevin J. Howard



5 Spooky Stars

 Simply wow! I don't know why I hadn't read this before, as I adore Yellowstone horror (so many possibilities!). Author Kevin Howard definitely leaves behind the usual (boiling pools, supervolcano,  bear and buffalo) and goes for an unusual creature which, if encountered say in Great Britain or Europe,  would have been the locus of centuries-old Folk Horror.  Horrifying it is, because unavoidable,  inescapable,  and implacable.  Not satisfied to kill in its den, this creature roams, and it's unstoppable. I can totally imagine this novel as a horror film, suffused as it is with a failing hero [Ranger Joe], young people in lust, abundances of gore, a diligent female ranger and an aging helpless male ranger.....what's not to love? Love I did, throughout a one-sitting literally nonstop thrill ride keeping me breathless,  alarmed, horrified,  and enthralled.


No comments:

Post a Comment