WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

WHEN EVIL CALL YOUR NAME by John Nicholl


Release: Dec. 31 2015

REVIEW: WHEN EVIL CALLS YOUR NAME by John Nicholl

Some time back I was privileged to review John Nicholl' s debut novel, WHITE IS THE COLDEST COLOUR, and found it riveting. His portrayal of a monster in human guise I've still not forgotten. It's sequel, WHEN EVIL CALLS YOUR NAME, is quite different, in that it is a first-person narration--in effect, a memoir, in personal journal form--of Cynthia, widow of the monstrous Dr. David Galbraith, villain of the first novel. This is more a psychological study than the thriller-mystery of WHITE IS THE COLDEST COLOUR. 

I must confess: although I sympathize with Cynthia nee Jones Galbraith, I could not empathize. Granted, her spouse was a champion psychological abuser and "brainwasher" and Cynthia didn't have confidence nor emotional stability going in, but I still couldn't generate any emotion beyond pity. Perhaps that's a failing in me. Her husband, at least, though a monster, was one who acted, not reacted, according to his own immoral lights. Cynthia has always just drifted along.

No comments:

Post a Comment