WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Review: The Guilty

The Guilty The Guilty by Gabriel Boutros
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

Review: THE GUILTY by Gabriel Boutros

In an ironic example of life imitating art, the day prior to reading THE GUILTY, I pondered the description of "The Devil's Defender," the autobiography of John Henry Browne, the defense attorney who represented Ted Bundy and many others accused of heinous crimes. As I considered the ramifications of defending such individuals, I read THE GUILTY, in which a Montreal defense attorney finds himself pondering similarly. A man who self-admittedly cared nothing about witnesses (they're the prosecution's lookout) and lived only for triumph, yet eventually he enters into circumstances which impel him to reconsider his profession and his [lack of] principles.

Robert Bratt is not a character for whom I could develop any empathy. An arrogant egotist, he defended accused to acquittal, freeing some to reoffend. Of course, for Bratt, those clients (white-collar crime as well as rape and murder) paid him well "to do what he loved to do," which I guess made his clients only well-paying tools.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment