WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Review: Mammoth

Mammoth Mammoth by Douglas Perry
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: MAMMOTH By Douglas Perry

From the first page, I felt a heavy dark cloud hanging over my left shoulder, the type that promises severe electrical storms and tornadoes. Only this cloud promises imminence of destruction, for the town of Mammoth View, and for the girls' camp on the mountain-the only runner's camp for adolescent girls in the nation. The cloud doesn't identify its form of destruction; but the reader will labor under a breath-suppressing dread nonetheless.

This perception carried throughout the book, but the numerous characters so engaged me that my attention remained riveted. Both writing and character are excellent. As for plot: after several decades of mystery reading, guessing at villains and outcomes, MAMMOTH fooled me, totally, and more than once! I had the thrill of discovery, because "I sure didn't see THAT coming!!"

Definitely a Best of 2016!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment