WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Monday, November 27, 2017

Review: Unspeakable

Unspeakable Unspeakable by Graham Masterton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: UNSPEAKABLE by Graham Masterton


UNSPEAKABLE was literally a one-sitting read! I've long been an admirer of Graham Masterton, and many of his horror novels are favorites. So is this one now {except for the ending, which really perturbed me, like the ending of RITUAL}. UNSPEAKABLE really is not in his horror category; and although there is crime, I wouldn't classify it with his Katie Maguire series of crime fiction. So I'll classify it as "psychological horror," with frissons of paranormal elements.

Our protagonist elicits much empathy; she isn't feckless, but the world sure has seemed to turn against her. Her heart holds a deep well of compassion, constantly battered by the really awful people she encounters, both in her employment in Children's Welfare, and in her personal life. There are some really hair-raising episodes here, and in and around these is woven Native American spirituality and mythology.

In all, I was quite taken with this novel.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment