WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Monday, March 5, 2018

Review: My Hungry Friend

My Hungry Friend My Hungry Friend by Daniel Barnett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: MY HUNGRY FRIEND by Daniel Barnett

Literally I devoured this novella in one evening (and "devoured" is apropos here). This is my third read by Mr. Barnett {the first was THE SAFE, the second LONGREAVE} and once again, I found my mind and horizons incredibly stretched. (Again, "horizons" is apropos.) I was not fond of the protagonist (though I did appreciate his literate mother and her highly intelligent and perceptive caregiver). I just found dentist Mike one who took the easy road way too often (and was quite a bit a spoiled brat).

But the protagonist wasn't my focus in the story. Although he did undergo a character arc (devolution, then evolution), what fired my imagination was the truly Lovecraftian overlay. {It is not true that as a Lovecraft devotee I find Mythos anywhere.} The overlay world that Mr. Barnett illustrates is wildly imaginative and highly creative, and deserves a wild audience. If you like the imaginative ponderings of author Tim Meyer, do snatch up MY HUNGRY FRIEND.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment