WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Review: Owl Manor: The Dawning

Owl Manor: The Dawning Owl Manor: The Dawning by Zita Harrison
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First in a historical Gothic romance series, OWL MANOR THE DAWNING also contains some strong doses of feminism, depth psychology, and unexpected characters, situations, events. I grew up devouring Gothic suspense--yes, a genre to itself--not only the mainstream writers, such as Dorothy Eden, Phyllis A. Whitney, Victoria Holt, and the Queen, Daphne du Maurier, as well as the paperback Gothic romantic suspense of the 1960's and 1970's. So when I encountered OWL MANOR THE DAWNING, I felt at home, but also thought "Gothic was never like this,, in that Zita Harrison digs deeper and ranges farther. I think she may write with the spirit of Shirley Jackson peering over her shoulder.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment