WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Review: The Silent Patient

The Silent Patient The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I've been reading for many decades, so as with serial killer fiction, I've been reading "Psychological Thrillers" since long before that term became regularly applied. I ordered THE SILENT PATIENT from Book of the Month Club based on the plot premise.

Oh dear. On Page 5, the (admittedly unreliable) narrator informs us:

P: 5: "I find his stuff rather slick, shallow."

His reference is to the victim's photography. Mine is to the novel in its entirety. I may be swimming upstream against the flood of opinion, but I consider this novel too self-consciously pretentious, like THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN. Far too full of itself. Of course, I cared not for that "Psychological Thriller" either.

I'm very disappointed.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment