WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Friday, April 20, 2018

Review: LAND OF BONES

LAND OF BONES LAND OF BONES by Glenn Rolfe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: LAND OF BONES by Glenn Rolfe

By turns heart-touching, heart-tearing, oh! My!, and almost always Scary!, Glenn Rolfe's new collection showcases this author's variety. I'd say there's something here to terrify almost everyone, even the most jaded reader of horror, dystopia, or apocalyptic scenarios. There's also a thoughtful and heartening introduction from author Erin Sweet all-Mehairi, the talented editor of this collection.

I thought I could select one or two stories to call "my favourites" in this set. Didn't work that efficiently. Found I had several. For the "Oh!My!" factor, there's "Wish." (If I was a little more puritanical, and thought Jonathan Edwards was peering over my shoulder, I'd sling this story into the "Be Sure Your Sins Will Find You Out" folder. Of course, these stories ARE set in New England....)

Then there's the delightfully painful "Not Kansas Anymore," which is set in Maine, there are no flying monkeys but something worse--and you really, really, do not want to see the "man" behind the curtain.

"Fire"--tore me up. I'm sure there will be nightmares. Inescapable and implacable, maximally.

"Simon"--hello, Mr. Lovecraft, and plenty of "Oh! My! Oh! No!" Factor. Very scary. What hurt worst? The little girl voices it. Read and see.

Finally, the story that cast me back to an earlier work by this gifted man, "The Ghosts of Spears Corners." If you've read Glenn's impactful CHASING GHOSTS (a book whose memory STILL wakes me up at night gibbering), race at the speed of light to read "Ghosts of Spears Corners" first {read it in sunlight}.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment