WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Review: The Nursery

The Nursery The Nursery by Bill Thompson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've now read Book 2 and Book 3 of Bill Thompson's fantastic Bayou Hauntings Series (THE FORGOTTEN MEN, and THE NURSERY). I adore this series and deem them re-readers. (I'll be reading Book 1, CALLIE, soonest). It's wonderful to read them in order, but each can be read as a stand-alone if need be, because the characters carry over and Mr. Thompson provides enough backstory to carry on with. He also provides wonderful historical and cultural details, and his character treatments are superbs. The reader quickly becomes involved with the characters (even the "villains") and their psychology and behaviour are true to life and realistic.

Now, as for the Horror: I love it! So implacable, which is my go-to criterion for good horror. Here it is excellent. THE NURSERY stars a woman who although long dead (five decades) is still going strong, and is a very powerful and controlling spirit, facing up against a loving widowed single father and his eight-year-old twin daughters, whom the ghost covets. Characters from Books 1 and 2 also are part of this ongoing story. THE NURSERY is a thrill to read (and terrifying too!).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment