WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Review: INSIDE by D. M. Siciliano


3 Stars

A tremendous amount of Implacable Horror,  literal and metaphorical convolutions,  inescapable emotions  (grief, shame, rage, terror, guilt), and deeply delineated psychology populates this novel. I'm always in favor of Implacability in Horror: without it, the story is not realistic.  Without it, there's no possibility of a "miraculous" twist: a rescue,  a recovery,  an escape.  What  I am not in favor of is fatalism,  and that is how this story felt: vicarious suffering,  over and over, with not little hope, NO hope of Redemption.  So what's the point?

My other problem here (I'm not addressing the proofreading need because I read only an ARC and not the finished product--other than to say that "thrusted" is not a  viable verb--possibly exists, but thankfully,  rarely. Go with "thrust.") is extending the  story far beyond the point at which it should have died--err, ended. The entire aftermath,  to me, was unnecessary,  unhelpful,  and  pretty much,  just an excuse to "relive" it all again. I wish the book at stopped at the last scene in the House, before the "aftermath. " That would have rendered a much tauter plotline.

No comments:

Post a Comment