WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Review: SHORT HORROR STORIES VOLUME 25



5 Spooky Stars

 All Stories in this volume are by Ron Ripley.

"Ricky's Toys": Ron Ripley demonstrates many gifts as an author.  Prominent is his ability to subtly direct readers into suspension of disbelief.  I have no trouble whatsoever accepting appearances by the deceased. I also marvel at his taut use of characterization.  Verbosity isn't needed because a few words do just fine. Then there's Revenge...or maybe in this case, Vengeance.  I wonder if the character Alex will reappear in future stories.

"The Bassinette": wow! About as seriously disturbing as I can handle. Reading this, outdoors in sunshine. Still I had to capture my scream.

"The Girl In the Window": I really enjoy the entertwining of characters and settings from throughout Mr. Ripley's oeuvre, and this story pairs two of my favorites,  the young autistic but highly intelligent Jimmy Hsu, and the beleaguered, troubled,  but admirable Dan Tate, now appearing as Anger, New Hampshire,  Librarian, replacing Diane. These two guys may be disparate,  but they definitely rock!


No comments:

Post a Comment