WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Monday, July 4, 2016

Review: Broken: A Psychological Horror

Broken: A Psychological Horror Broken: A Psychological Horror by Matt Shaw
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: BROKEN: A PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR by Matt Shaw

This review is likely to appear as a testimonial to the author. Perhaps it is. I certainly am more and more impressed. When I first "happened" upon listings for author Matt Shaw, I noted that he is a bestselling UK horror author, and known for his "black cover" (extreme horror) books. At that time, I wasn't particularly interested in getting into the extremes, so I passed. Recently, however, I read THE HOUSE THAT HELL BUILT, a collaboration between Matt Shaw, Michael Bray, and Stuart Keane, and enjoyed it extremely [pun intended]. Since then, I've been trying to read as much by Matt Shaw as possible (and as prolific as he is, I haven't caught up).

BROKEN released July 2 2016. It is psychological horror, and as such, omits the rather extreme venues Mr. Shaw is noted for. However, the ending, when one pulls aside the veil and looks into it, certainly would qualify for extreme. Yet it is subtle; everything about the story is subtle, low-key, and understated, and it's a wonderful and fascinating portrait of character progress and collapse. Additionally, the scenic background is tremendous.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment