WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Review: The Fates

The Fates The Fates by Thomas Tessier
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: THE FATES by Thomas Tessier

This is my fourth novel by this author [and fourth consecutive] and so far THE FATES and WICKED THINGS are my favourites. Neither has certain characters who gripe me, as do SHOCKWAVES and RAPTURE (in the first, Byron Matthews, obsessed crime-fighting District Attorney.; in the second, single-minded and equally obsessive Jack). I quite liked and admired the protagonist in WICKED THINGS, and I easily empathize with the characters in THE FATES, many of whom find themselves confronted with events impossible to predict, imagine, or comprehend, sometimes with deadly consequences.

THE FATES also has somewhat of a Lovecraftian overtone. The disaster that overtakes the community of Millville, Connecticut, is unknowable, fickle, undeniably cosmic, fits into a given individual's or group's frame of reference, demonstrates no concern for humans, animals, plants--and is terrifyingly implacable. Like Lovecraft, this novel is both horror and science fiction.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment