WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Review: THE LAST HELLFIGHTER

THE LAST HELLFIGHTER THE LAST HELLFIGHTER by Thomas S. Flowers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: THE LAST HELLFIGHTER by Thomas S. Flowers

THE LAST HELLFIGHTER is an extraordinarily enthralling novel which weaves from contemporaneous society into the future and back to the early 20th century American culture and the Great War, and points in between. Commencing with a blow-me-out-of-the-water reader's hook, set in the Port of Jerusalem, Maine (a beginning that rendered me speechless), THE LAST HELLFIGHTER wings us forward to the ugly and dismaying political climate of 2044 in the United States. The central figure is Benjamin Harker, native of Harlem, black WWI soldier, later Oklahoma homesteader--and vampire-fighter. I love this character (and James Reese Europe, jazz musician and WWI Lieutenant). I love and admire them, for their character, integrity, and truth is what I've always aspired to.

Author Flowers loves history as do I, and always brings it to us, alive and very present. I found a lot here astonishing (and terribly sad), but I've come away with improved understanding, knowledge, and empathy. I now have a new set of favorite fictional characters, and a new best-loved book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment