WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Friday, March 3, 2017

Review: Neighborhood Watch

Neighborhood Watch Neighborhood Watch by Andrew Neiderman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review of NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH by Andrew Neiderman

Just this week I've read two excellent books with this title, the first being NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH by Stuart R. West. However, the horror/thriller I had in mind while reading Andrew Neiderman's NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH was THE ASSOCIATION by Bentley Little, which I read some years ago. Both focus on gated communities, overseen (and ordered) by a narcissistic leader and his minions. In the Little novel, there was much emphasis on brutality and horror. Mr. Neiderman's novel does contain violence, but the story as a whole relies on psychological horror rather than “gore for gore's sake.” I think Andrew Neiderman's novels are noted for their psychological emphasis, and here it carries the story as he examines the psychological underpinnings of a large number of characters. In some ways it was rather like reading both a psychological treatise and a sociological study, but neither aspect detracted at all from my total enjoyment of and absorption in the story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment