WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Friday, May 12, 2017

Review: Life in a Haunted House

Life in a Haunted House Life in a Haunted House by Norman Prentiss
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review of LIVING IN A HAUNTED HOUSE
by Norman Prentiss

Multi-layered and riveting, LIVING IN A HAUNTED HOUSE is coming-of-age, plus parental rifts, plus potential mental disorder, plus high-school targeting-the-odd-one-out, plus film mania (or obsession or devotion), friendship (or not), truth-telling (or not). I love stories where the characters gaslight each other, or where the author gaslights the reader, so that I have to discern truth from illusion, facts from lies. All the way through, I held to one perceived “truth,” but was buffeted throughout by characters' claims of “That never happened,” “That doesn't exist,” “I never said that,” “I don't know you,” and so forth. By the end, all had been unraveled and rewoven, and I finished the novel with a feeling of great satisfaction, of a story eloquently delivered, of an author who made this reader live the story vividly.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment