WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Sunday, May 26, 2019

Review: Monster of the Asylum

Monster of the Asylum Monster of the Asylum by B.T. Lord
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I first read the sample, then bought the book, and found it totally compelling. I needed no suspension of disbelief to comprehend the paranormal elements, which are so well delivered and interwoven with conviction. Characters are thoroughly delineated through their actions, converse, and internal dialogue; several experience character evolution, while some undergo character devolution with its resulting consequences.

Although the story line involves lots of hauntings, nevertheless these express realistically, and throughout the paranormal is interwoven with the past history and present circumstances of the building and its environs. The eponymous Monster is different than expected (and this is borne out by the suggestions of viewers who are in real time watching the broadcast of the ghost hunting investigation), yet its nature (past and present) worked excellently in the context and was very realistic and possible.

I did not realize until I had finished the novel (in one sitting) and read the two Author's Notes that the co-authors are themselves experienced in the field of the paranormal and of paranormal investigations. I now realize where the realism is derived from. I'm eagerly awaiting the continuation of this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment