WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Monday, October 2, 2017

Review: In the Company of False Gods: Lovecraftian Steampunk Horror

In the Company of False Gods: Lovecraftian Steampunk Horror In the Company of False Gods: Lovecraftian Steampunk Horror by Mark Cassell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: IN THE COMPANY OF FALSE GODS: LOVECRAFTIAN HORROR by Mark Cassell

I wouldn't be surprised if this charming horror novella segues into a sequel, at some future date. "Steampunk Horror" is clearly a subgenre in whose playground author Mark Cassell is invigorated. Not only does he revel in it, he brings it alive and "makes it real." {I know, if I can believe in the Lovecraft Mythos, I can surely acknowledge an alternate probability of steam and mechanisms and clockwork. Indeed.} But my belief is not the issue here; Cassell' s obvious delight in his creation is the point. Speaking of that, creation, invention, and taking pleasure in one's creations are a mainstay of this story. The feckless protagonist, the nearly megalomaniac Lady Greyheron (my favorite), the Automaton, even That From Beyond {my terminology, not the author's} are each wedded to the concept of invention and Changing the World.
We all know, seven decades plus after the first atomic bomb test, that once some doors {or some Portals} are cracked ajar, there's no way to close them again.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment