WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Review: Wicked Haunted: An Anthology by the New England Horror Writers

Wicked Haunted: An Anthology by the New England Horror Writers Wicked Haunted: An Anthology by the New England Horror Writers by Scott T. Goudsward
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review of WICKED HAUNTED Anthology by New England Horror Writers

New England Horror Writers covers the state's of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. Here in 23 tales (and 3 drawings) are a wide-ranging selection sure to provoke many emotions. Some scared me, some REALLY scared me, others elicited grief and "If only!" and some warmed my heart. I did not read in order, and my list below reflects that.

"Everything Smells Like Smoke Again" by Curtis M. Lawson. I chose to read this story first, as Mr. Lawson was the writer who had introduced me to this volume. His story impacted me immediately, first cutting directly to my emotions, then ripping my soul. Even after I finished, I can still feel it enfolding me in its terrifying embrace.

"We're All Haunted Here" by Doungai Gam. A remarkably polished and poignant story, it elicited grief and sympathy, yet also played chords of hope and inspiration. The conclusion stunned me.

"They Come With the Storm" by Dan Foley. A doomed Atlantic, whose inhabitants persevere despite their knowledge and fear. The horror is implacable, indeed; and despair, grief, betrayal, and hatred are inroads to the terror that never ends. The ending was very unexpected.

"Turn On the Old Victrola" by Tom Deady. Please don't!! The title echoes a 70's Donna Summer song, but no disco joy exists here. That snazzy old Victrola is a genuine antique--and it's haunted, and extremely dangerous.

"Lost Boy" by Bracken McLeod. There are several aspects of this story that really amplified the scare factor for me, but I'm not willing to give those away. I found a lot of empathy for both the main characters: good people, needing to find their way.

"My Work Here Is Not Done" by Nick Manzolillo. The intriguing New York afterlife of Samuel Clemens, a man who maintained his intellect, scientific compulsion, compassion, and journalistic investigation, even post-death--finding and living a purpose.

"Ghost Maker" by Emma J. Gibson. A cynical, jaded, cameraman on a televised paranormal series unexpectedly is confronted with a crossroads decision; then even more unexpectedly, experiences his own otherworldly encounter.

"The Boy On the Red Tricycle" by Dan Szczesny. Heartwrenching, heartwarming, and very spooky. More saddening than horrifying, but horror nonetheless.

""Pulped" by James A. Moore. Talk about reader's hooks, knock-out first sentences, word play. Talk about a tautly-constructed tale so well-tuned it hums. Think Dashiell Hammett strumming pulp noir blues with a driving drum beat.

"Ghosts In Their Eyes" by Teresa Wooldridge. A lengthy, scary prose poem about occult science and black magic, about deceit and lies, betrayal and arrogance. Be careful where you choose to place your elder loved ones; profit-greed is not the only motive at deceitful nursing homes.

"They, Too, Want To Be Remembered," by K. H. Vaughn. So sad, so poignant: a tragic moment in history vifified by unexpected manifestations. This one made me cry.

"The East Boston Relief Station" by Paul R. McNamee. Past bleeding into present, for one fortunate--or unfortunate--patient-to-be in need of immediate relief.

"Murmur" by Jeremy Flagg. A witch in the afterlife, ghosts, remnants, demons, and plague. I liked the sharp twist of the ending.

"Scrying Through Torn Screens" by Patricia Gomes. Short and sweetly poignant, leaving the rest unsaid but strongly perceived.

"The Thin Place" by Morgan Sylvia. So glad I read this story in daylight. One of those turn-me-inside-out-scare-me-senseless stories. Definitely a rereader.

"The Walking Man" by Matt Bechtel. Scary and poignant. "There but for the grace of God," indeed. (Shudder)

"Tripping the Ghost" by Barry Lee Dejasu. I put this one in the category of Weird Fiction (and yes, horror). I suppose there is a market for everything, and these two entrepreneurs have certainly carved a niche for themselves. I definitely appreciated the Lovecraftian flavour.

"The Pick Apart" by Paul McMahon. I do love my horror implacable, and that is exactly what's delivered here. We learn who and why, but we don't know how to change the pattern. A scary, ghostly, tale. Don't read alone at night.

"Mouse" by Larissa Glasser. Traumatically sad. The real horror is humans.

"The Road to Gallway" by Rob Smales. Scary-scary-scary--with a way unexpected really scary twist! Loved it.

"Triumph of the Spirit" by GD Dearborn. Do ghosts remain earthbound, not because of unfinished business or their own desire, but because their loved ones refuse to relinquish? Thought-provoking.

"The Stranding Off Schoodic Point" by R. C. Mulhare. A heartwarming ghost story with a purpose. Endearing characters, deserving of empathy.

"The Thing With No Face" by Peter N. Dudar. Although this is the first story, I left it till last because facelessness has been one of my bete noirs since childhood. I knew this story would scare me senseless. I was right. Guilt can be debilitating, but vengeance can be fatal to body and soul.










View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment