WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Friday, October 20, 2017

Review: Sub-basement: A Ghost Story

Sub-basement: A Ghost Story Sub-basement: A Ghost Story by Carol McMahon
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Review: SUB-BASEMENT by Carol McMahon

This story scared me! I enjoyed the setting (a long-abandoned hospital-with secrets), and I appreciated the character development of our narrator Catherine, and of boyfriend Ryan, plus some secondary characters as well. What deepened the story for me was the narrator's psychological issues and background. The ending was different than I had anticipated, and far more scary!

Catherine Is an almost-ordinary college coed, living with long-term boyfriend Ryan, an all-around good guy. She is fascinated with photography, including the old-school processes of film developing, and has a new part-time work-study job at a low-cost clinic, located in the former ER of an isolated hospital abandoned five decades ago. She and Ryan are both interested in the old, the creepy, and the abandoned (sort of freelance urban explorers) and when Catherine discovers some secretive aspects of the hospital's history, she and Ryan are hot to explore--yes, even the hospital's sub-basement, where the caretaker advises she not go.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment