WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Monday, July 29, 2019

Review: Imaginary Friend

Imaginary Friend Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chbosky
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I first read the description for IMAGINARY FRIEND I became quite excited and developed high expectations. Initially I found the novel compelling, but the farther I read the more unsettling it became. Once I began the "final night" in the ongoing battle of Good vs. Evil, I thought that this section and time period endured too long; perhaps even the last quarter or so, if trimmed, would improve the quality of the novel. Also one particular secondary character's continuing plot thread ended with what I considered unrealistic and highly unlikely character evolution (three characters all unedergoing 180-degree reversals). However, the conclusion of that plot thread seems to dangle the potential of a sequel, starring that particular secondary character.


The two protagonists (five decades apart) are seven-year-olds. However, in no way is this a story for children. Sensitive readers: torture, gore, SERIOUS abuse issues (to adults and to children) are ongoing throughout, and some of the violence is extreme and stomach-churning.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment