WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Review: Haunted: Horror of Haverfordwest

Haunted: Horror of Haverfordwest Haunted: Horror of Haverfordwest by G L Davies
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Suspension of disbelief" is automatic for me. I have no problem whatsoever accepting these events. Although the author's introduction was a bit slow, the interviews with first the couple who inhabited the house in this small but bustling community beginning in November 1989, then the latter section (earlier published as "a most haunted house") of the couple living there in 2003, I found absolutely riveting. In a dictionary definition of "I couldn't put this book down," HAUNTED: HORROR OF HAVERFORDWEST would be the book cover next to the definition.

Absolutely engrossing, completely terrifying. My stomach roiled many times at the evil nature of the entity or entities haunting this residence, attempting to destroy any humans living within, and as it turned out, any attempting to cleanse the house of its evil.

There were many Lovecraftian overtones as well, including the insistence by a spiritualist that the Entity comes from beyond this Universe. The author even quotes Lovecraft's famous statement on fear.

I highly recommend this nonfiction account to anyone with an open mind and/or an interest in the paranormal or metaphysics.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment