WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Review: Karda: Adalta Vol. I

Karda: Adalta Vol. I Karda: Adalta Vol. I by Sherrill Nilson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I thought yesterday, "When will I find a fantasy novel as lovely and lyrical as the series I've been reading?" Here it is: KARDA is Volume 1 of Sherrill Nilson's amazingly expansive ADALTA series (I so anticipate the continuation of the series!). Adalta is a colonized planet of humans, in the far future of course, where sword and sorcery rule, not technology--never technology. Until Marta, a trade scout suffused with technological capability, arrives; and technology meets magic, with incredible results.

The psychology underpinnings of this novel are unbeatable. That made the novel for me as much as the magic.

I classify this series as sci fantasy, even though it is sci fi, because the planet Adalta is straight out wonderful fantasy: no technology, everybody (except one) is born with Talent (magical ability), weapon of choice is swords, castle, dungeons, oubliettes, and warded entities. Yay! I adored this novel and am eager to read it again, and then continue the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment