WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Review: The Haunting of Crow House

The Haunting of Crow House The Haunting of Crow House by A.W. James
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've been devouring Haunted House stories in great proliferation for over 6 decades, and let's face it: the trope has been "done to death." (Pun intentional) But: it's still possible to carry it off winningly, imaginatively, and frighteningly. (Examples: Susan Hill's THE WOMAN IN BLACK and Peter James' THE HOUSE ON COLD HILL.) THE HAUNTING OF CROW HOUSE similarly affected me. The author utilizes quite a variety of tropes--certainly more than I expected--and weaves them in expertly. Yes, frightening; and also presenting a variety of empathetic characters.
I found it a champion read all around, and worth re-reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment