WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Thursday, September 26, 2019

Review: One by One

One by One One by One by D.W. Gillespie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I foresee nightmares. I really shouldn't have read this at night.


It seemed so simple: a big old isolated house in the woods, selling at a ridiculously low price. Sure, the house was an architectural oddity, a little unsettling. Reminiscent in a mild fashion of Lovecraftian non-Euclidean geometry. But not haunted. Just....odd.


Until ten-year-old Alice uncovers the stick-figure painting in the hall. Family members change. Then the cat--. But it's also subtle until about two-thirds of the way in: then my hair stood on end, my eyes bugged out, goosebumps covered me from head to.toe, nightmares entrenched themselves...no, no longer subtle at all.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment