WHO

WHO'S COMING DOWN YOUR CHIMNEY TONIGHT?




Charles Stross, "Overtime"

2018: CTHULHU FOR CHRISTMAS

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Review: Pale White

Pale White Pale White by Chad Lutzke
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Some books have changed my life, made me a new person, opened my eyes, such as Susan Brownmiller's AGAINST OUR WILL: MEN, WOMEN, AND RAPE, which was my Thanksgiving reading in 1975. Now there is Chad Lutzke's PALE WHITE, whose traumatic subject matter exploded on Page One resulting in an immediate impulse to shut my eyes, cover my ears, toss the book, and run away screaming. I did none of that. Instead, I held on, endured the shocks, faced the trauma, screamed imprecations at the villains, empathetically hugged the victims.


And I am so glad I did. There is such incredible power in this novella. If it can be said of fiction that it shames the abusers, strengthens the survivors, and Speaks Truth To Power, let it be said of PALE WHITE.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment